In Islam, there is certain equality over anything. There is a lot of conspiracy that Islam favors only Men, this misconception is completely wrong. In fact, Islam is the only religion that supports equal rights for both men and women.
If you carefully study Islam and understand the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), you will find that in many places wife rights are mentioned. Moreover, Islam lays down some guidance, on how we can live a happy life both as a husband or wife. These rights ensure that both respect each other and help themselves in the hour of need.
In this post, we will try our best to list out some of the rights of a Muslim wife upon her husband in Islam.
Wife Rights in Islam
- To feed her properly without delay. It is your duty as a husband to take care of everything in the house. It is ideal not to be excessing or stingy.
- To be kind to your wife, respect her, and to not harm her. Raising your voice or hand to her is strictly forbidden.
- To love her unconditionally, saying nice words to her, and always remind her that you love her. If she asks for something, then always provide her. If you can’t afford it, then ask her that you will deliver it insha’Allah.
- To help your wife in housework. Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) always does his housework on his own. You should also play with her, share food with her, and sleep under the same blanket.
- Never curse or swear at your wife or insult her in any shape or form. If she shy about something then skip it.
- You should not boycott her. If she has done something that you don’t like, then (for a valid reason) it should be done inside the house.
- Never expose the secrets of your wife to someone else. You’re like a shield that protects her from the outside world.
- To guide her about the world and share your knowledge for a better future. Also, if she’s interested in the study then grant her permission and provide a proper channel for study.
- To save her from hellfire and forbid the evil deeds that can happen. Teach her what is good and what is wrong.
- Never talk of another woman in front of her. This leads to jealousy and uninterrupted condition and situation in the future.
- Allow her some personal space. Take her to her motherhouse, let her stay there as long as she likes. Have a good behavior with her family. Have a positive atmosphere in your family and your wife’s family.
Once you’re married, it doesn’t always have to go as you planned. There can be a lot of ups and downs that follow along the way. Under such conditions, it is patience that guides you through the journey.
Always believing in Allah and having trust. Think from her perspective, what she thinks and what not. As the beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “Best among you are those who behave well with their women.” She’s your responsibility and it’s your duty to handle things from now on. You can read other rights from the Holy Quran. In the meantime, if you’re married, just tell her you love her and everything will be fine.